Permesso di Soggiorno (permit of stay or residence permit in English) is an authorization from Italian authorities that allows migrants, refugees and asylum-seekers to regularly stay in Italy for a given period of time.

There are many types of permessi di soggiorno, depending on the reasons you are allowed to stay in Italy for (for example, because you need protection or because you work here). You can learn more about the most common types and who can get them by clicking on them:

When and how to renew your permesso di soggiorno

The procedure to renew your permit change depending on the type of permesso you hold. Also the documentation required may vary from Questura to Questura. We know that in some cases Questure may ask for other documents than those required by law.

This is why it’s better you check at the local level. You can ask for help to associations that help migrants locally or to a patronato.

There are patronati offices in most Italian towns and cities. To find the patronato closest to you, Google “patronato ______.” In the blank space, write the name of the town or city where you live.

We're doing our best to include in all the articles the information you need to know in order to renew/convert your permesso. Meanwhile we suggest you check the following websites (in Italian) to find more useful information:

  • Poste Italiane has made available a guide on the procedures, places and costs for submitting the application for the issue and renewal of permits of stay. You can find it here.
  • On the Portale Immigrazione website you can find more information about the documents generally required for each permesso.

As a general rule, you must renew your permesso from 60 days before the expiration date of your permit and by 60 days after it. If you fail to comply with it, you will have to present valid evidence justifying your delay.

After 60 days, if you don’t justify your delay, you may receive an expulsion order.

Lost or stolen permessi di soggiorno

To begin the process of replacing a lost or stolen permesso di soggiorno, you will need to file a police report. You can visit the nearest police station and file a denuncia di smarrimento (declaration of loss) or a denuncia di furto (declaration of theft).

Next, you can bring your denuncia di smarrimento or denuncia di furto to the questura and ask to replace your permesso di soggiorno. You might need to wait for some time to get the replacement.


asgi logo