University degrees from non-European countries have no legal value in Italy and other European countries, so it’s really important you get your degree recognized. Italian universities are the institutions in charge of the recognition process.

You can use this article to learn more about:

  • How to apply
  • What is the procedure for international protection holders
  • Who can help

This article focuses on the procedure of having your degree recognized for academic purposes only (e.g. if you want to enroll in university or keep pursuing your university career, study a master’s degree or PhD). However, if you need to get your professional qualification recognized in Italy (e.g. if you are a doctor, psychologist, electrician, hairdresser), you can find more information on the relevant procedure and institutions here.

How to get your foreign degree recognized

If you hold a degree from a non-Italian university, you may be able to get it recognized in Italy.

What you need to apply

First, you have to find an equivalent degree at an Italian university that corresponds in nature, level and content to the qualification you want to get recognized. You can find a list of Italian universities here.

Once you find a university that offers a similar degree, you can contact the Student Secretariat (‘Segreteria Studenti’ in Italian) to request more information and apply for the recognition of your degree.

To apply, you will need:

  • Your valid passport or identity document
  • Your valid permit of stay
  • Your academic diploma (translated and legalized)
  • Your transcripts (translated and legalized)
  • A description of the coursework of your degree (translated and legalized)
  • Your declaration of value

The declaration of value (‘dichiarazione di valore’ in Italian) is a document that describes the qualification obtained in a foreign education system and it is issued by the relevant Italian Embassy.

Bear in mind that if you are an international protection holder, Italian institutions can help you get the declaration of value or have your qualifications recognized if you do not have the required certificates with you. Please, check the information below.

Outcomes of the procedure

After submitting all the relevant documentation, a Commission will examine your file by comparing the content of your degree and the exams you took while completing it with the corresponding Italian degrees. The evaluation will result in one of the following options:

  • Your degree is recognized
  • Your degree is not recognized
  • You need to obtain further credits to get your degree recognized (‘abbreviazione di corso’ in Italian)

If you are an international protection holder

If you have your academic qualification with you

If you hold the refugee or subsidiary protection status and have your academic qualifications with you, the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs will support you in obtaining the declaration of value through diplomatic channels.

To start the process, please send an email to dgsp-07@esteri.it by indicating your personal information, address, email and phone number, and attach a copy of your academic qualification, permit of stay and identity card or travel document.

You can find more information here.

Alternatively, the CIMEA (the Italian academic recognition information center) produces certifications of comparability of your qualification free of charge. The certification of comparability indicates your level of study according to the European framework. Please, contact cis@cimea.it or register on the Diplome platform here.

Some universities may not accept the CIMEA certification. We suggest you verify with the Segreteria Studenti of your university before applying.

If you do not have your academic qualification with you

If you do not have all or some of the required certificates issued by your country of origin, the European Qualifications Passport for Refugees (EQPR) may facilitate the recognition of your qualifications.

To get the EQPR, you should create an account on the EQPR platform and complete it with the information about your education and professional experience. An academic commission will evaluate your profile and interview you to assess your competences and qualifications.

You can learn more about the EQPR here.

Who can help

You can get more information on the recognition process for foreign degrees on: