Who gets this permesso?
You may be eligible for the Permesso di Soggiorno per Cure Mediche if you suffer from severe psycho-physical conditions or resulting from serious pathologies. You may also be eligible if you could suffer from irreparable injury to your health if you return to your country of origin.
Please keep in mind that there are different type of Permesso per Cure Mediche. However, this Permesso per Cure Mediche is NOT the same as the Permesso per Cure Mediche for pregnant women.
How do I get this permesso?
No clear guidelines exist yet on the procedure for requesting this kind of permesso.
If you think you may be eligible for this permesso, you may wish to consult a legal professional. If you need help with finding a legal professional, you can message us on Facebook and we’ll help you find one nearby.
How long is it valid for?
Your medical records, duration of your treatment and recommendations from a public doctor determine how long your permesso is valid for, but anyway it will not be valid longer than 1 year.
How long will it take to get it?
The amount of time it takes to receive this kind of permesso has not yet been established.
How can I renew this kind of permesso?
You can renew the Permesso per Cure Mediche by providing new medical records that show you still have the medical condition you had when you were granted the permesso.
Can I convert this permesso into a Permesso per Motivi di Lavoro?
Before, this permesso could not be converted to a different type of permesso.
According to the new immigration decree, the Permesso per Cure Mediche can now be converted into a work permit if you meet the requirements.
What rights do I have as a holder of this permesso?
With this permesso, you have the right to:
- Receive medical attention, as decided by medical authorities. You also have the right to access the national health service.
- Stay at a SIPROIMI center as well as receive basic services at the reception facility. You may also be hosted in a specialized medical facility if one is available. Your right to reception includes “material reception,” meaning food, medical attention and hygiene products.
- Access the Italian health care system (SSN).
- Access the Italian public education system.
- Access the Italian welfare system, depending on which benefit you seek.
- Register with the registry office of your local comune, which gives you the right to get a carta d’identità.
With this permesso you do not have the right to:
- Ask for your family to join you in Italy through family reunification.
- Travel outside Italy.
Got any questions? Message us on our Facebook page.